Head of Sustenence
The team from Andover Radio occasionally need to partake in a small liquid repast. Alex Gillies is their man. Alex is the squire at The Station Inn on Bridge Street and his kindly hosting has kept the team going with his fulsome selection of ales, soft drinks and bottles of Merlot.
A brief history of the Station Inn, Andover:
The Station Inn was previously named The Eight Bells, a name it adopted in the late 1790s, after it opened its doors for the first time in 1769.
If it had worked in practice, the pub would have enjoyed the spoils of the Andover-Redbridge canal which opened in 1790. The pub was in a great position as it was on the main new turnpike road from London to the Westcountry.
It was the arrival of the railways in Andover in 1859 which gave the pub the name it uses today. It’s believed that the pub has been called The Station Inn since 1874 (although it was briefly called The Railway Hotel and more recently it was briefly The Station Hotel).
When the Andover to Southampton (Sprat and Winkle Line) was closed as part of the Beeching Plan in 1963 some consideration was made to changing the name of the pub, but, like the old Railway Tavern up Weyhill Road (which was also nowhere near a railway station), the change of name was not pursued.
In the car park of The Station Inn you will see a recently renovated stone and flint building which was used as Andover’s first Roman Catholic church.
Alex and Romana at The Station Inn have been good to the Andover Radio team for a great many years and Alex is shown as an honorary member of our team.