Hampshire County Council is pleased to be working with local partners including our District and Borough councils, NHS, support providers and local charities to assist Afghan families moving to the UK to re-settle as part of the Government’s Afghan Relocation and Assistance Policy programme.
A number of families have now been welcomed to the county and Hampshire County council are working hard to ensure they have all the local information they need and are made to feel welcome after what has been a very difficult and disorientating period in their lives.
Hampshire county council are very grateful for the many offers of support to assist the evacuees.
If you wish to donate an item, please visit the website of registered local charity Community First who are co-ordinating collections across the county. In addition to signposting to donation points, Community First has also published a list of priority items that are needed first and foremost. Please can we ask that items are either nearly-new or in good second-hand condition.
If you would like to donate items then you can take them to the Unity office in Andover ( by the bus station ) .Please check the website as this will give you an idea of the items required, thank you.
What can I donate?
They would like donations of new or nearly new clothing and other items as listed below; they ask that you please follow and adhere to these guidelines. At this time they are only supporting those in temporary accommodation and are unable to accept general donations of other items no matter how well intended and well-meaning they are.
Clothing – a ‘wardrobe’ in a bag
- Items should be new or nearly new;
- Items should be sorted by age and gender;
- Items should be in a reusable soft bag such as holdall, rucksack or bag for life and labelled with age and gender as follows:
- Male and Female shoes (no high heels or sandals) all sizes – good condition
- Male & Female warm waterproof coats – all sizes
- Male clothing – jeans/chinos, cargo pants, sports wear, jumpers, sweatshirts, belts and underwear – good condition
- Female clothing – culturally appropriate and to include maternity wear
- New underwear, including socks and ladies bra’s (not second-hand) for males and females – all sizes
Children (up to 16 years)
- Boys – from 10 years upwards winter clothing to include jeans, shirts, jumpers and sportswear
- Girls from 6 years upwards winter clothing no summer items
- Warm waterproof coats for Boys and Girls of all ages
- Underwear for boys and girls (not second-hand)
- Shoes – girls and boys all ranges of sizes
Infant/baby (under 2yrs old) – Warm indoor and outdoor clothing , nappies and other baby essentials (please note no toys)
Toddler (under 5 yrs. old) – Warm indoor and outdoor clothing, and shoes
Shoe box parcel
If you are unable to donate clothing please consider filling a shoe box with a few essential items including pens, paper, colouring pens/book, activities for children, tennis ball, sweets, toothbrush and toothpaste, mobile phone top up card, voucher, reading glasses, hairbrush/comb, hats/gloves/scarves for the winter etc.
If you’re an individual or local group/organisation wishing to make an offer of practical support, please email Community First at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to make an offer of accommodation, please contact TVBC Council in the first instance.