Test Valley Borough Council (TVBC) is launching its first round of consultation for a ‘Community Governance Review’.
This means that people in Andover will have the chance to comment on where or if they think parish arrangements should be changed.
Andover town council sits under the terms of this review and could ultimately lead to its abolition, or significant changes in the way it operates.
Corporate Portfolio Holder, Cllr Maureen Flood, said: “This review is all about giving local people a democratic voice by telling us what works in their parishes and what doesn’t.
“We’re starting with a completely blank canvas and are open to all suggestions.”
Test Valley has 59 parishes where responsibility rests with 2 town councils (Andover and Romsey), 48 parish councils, 1 common parish council (covering 2 parishes) and 7 parish meetings.
The review of parish boundary arrangements follows the Local Government Boundary Commission for England’s review of the Borough Council’s own wards, which was carried out earlier this year.
A Community Governance Review is the process used to consider whether existing parish arrangements should be changed in any way.
Residents’ views are invited on matters such as:
- Altering the boundaries of existing parishes
- Changing the names of existing parishes
- Creating a new parish or abolishing an existing parish
- Creating or abolishing parish councils
- The electoral arrangements for parish councils (including the number of councillors and arrangements for parish warding)
- The grouping or de-grouping of parish councils (and consequential changes to their electoral arrangements)
- The “style” of a parish (enabling an area to be known as a town, community, neighbourhood or village rather than a parish)
Any changes brought about as a result of the review will be implemented in time for the parish and town council elections scheduled for May 2019.
The first period of consultation will begin on Monday (13th November 2017) and will remain open for 11 weeks. TVBC are asking people in Andover for their views on what should be changed and will use this feedback to produce draft proposals. These proposals will then be subject to a second public consultation.
Download Terms of Reference information here.
To have your say, you can write to: Community Governance Review (Chief Executive’s Service), Test Valley Borough Council, Beech Hurst, Weyhill Road, Andover SP10 3AJ
You can also email email@example.com.
Full information on the review is available at www.testvalley.gov.uk/cgr