Community Local News

Family friend puts out appeal to help local family after a house fire

Liam MaKaa has asked the Andover community to help clothe a local family after a candle destroyed their home late last night.

Fire fighters from Andover and Sutton Scotney were called to a house in Herons rise Andover, at 23.59 on Easter Monday 2021. The fire was thought to be caused by a candle in a first floor bedroom.

The fire alarm in the property alerted the family and all occupants managed to get out of the building safely but were taken to hospital by south central ambulance service as a precautionary measure.

Four breathing apparatus, two jets , one hose reel and a ventilation fan were used to extinguish the fire which came to a stop at 01.23 Andover Fire service said “we would like to praise the occupants for having working smoke detectors and getting out safely”

Statistics from the Government shows that over 7% of fires were caused by candles in 2019/2020. The Fire Risk Consultancy Services have 10 top tips when using candles;-

1.Never leave a burning candle unattended

It is important to put burning candles out when you leave the room and make sure they are completely out at night before you go to bed and not still smouldering. This includes incense and oil burners.

2.Always put candles on a heat resistant surface

Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, as they can get hot enough to melt through a plastic surface (e.g. a television or bath is not a fire-resistant object). Never burn a candle right down into the holder.

3.Always use a suitable holder when burning candles

Candles should always be held firmly upright in heat-resistant holders so they won’t fall over and placed on a stable surface away from flammable objects such as curtains, furniture, bedding, books and magazines.  Burn candles in a well-ventilated room but avoid draughts, vents or air currents.  This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

4.Don’t put them under shelves or other enclosed spaces

It’s easy to forget that there’s a lot of heat above a burning candle. If you put it under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface. Make sure there is at least one metre (three feet) between a candle and any surface above it. Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare, leave at least 10cm (four inches) between two burning candles or tea lights.

5.Keep candles and other naked flames out of the reach of children and away from pets

Always keep candles away from children and pets – clothes, hair and fur can catch fire in an instant, Never use a candle in a child’s bedroom.

6.Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles

Blowing out candles can send sparks and hot wax flying, use a snuffer as this is much safer.

7.Don’t move candles when they’re burning

You increase the risk of fire or injury if you move a candle while it is lit. Don’t let anything fall into the hot wax and leave them to cool down before you try to move them.

8.Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit

If there’s any chance you could lean across a candle or brush past it and forget it’s there, put it somewhere else.

9.Take care with ritual or scented candles

These kinds of candles turn to liquid in order to release their fragrance, so always burn them in a suitable glass or metal container that can withstand the heat of the liquid.

10.Always have a working smoke detector

Every home should have at least one smoke detector on every floor, but it’s a good idea to have one in every room where you burn candles. Make sure you check that the detector is working regularly.

Thankfully no one was hurt in the blaze but the family have lost everything. If you are able to donate any women’s size 14-16, men’s medium, or age 12 months boys clothes please get in touch. Unfortunately due to the current situation the family have no storage for other items.

On Air Now