Hampshire Police received a number of calls from residents in the Andover area reporting the theft of items over the weekend of Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th December.
The calls were particularly about mobile phones that they had left within their vehicles whilst out for walks or other outdoor activities.
Many of these calls came from residents in the rural areas surrounding Andover and Andover Police would like to pass on the relevant guidance to all car owners about keeping your belongings safe from thieves.
- When leaving your car, close all windows and lock your car.
- Upon locking your vehicle try your car door to ensure it is actually locked.
- Park your car in an attended car park where possible.
- When parking at home, use your garage. If you don’t have a garage, park in a well-lit area.
- Don’t leave anything on display in your vehicle.
- Take all your personal possessions with you.
- Remove sat nav holders and visible sat nav ring marks from windscreens.
- Leave the glove box open to show there’s nothing inside.
- Fit an alarm or immobiliser to your car.
- Record the details of your property on the Immobilise website. (www.immobilise.com)
- Do not store your car’s documents in the car.
A Police spokesperson said, “Thank you for taking the time to read this advice, please pass it on to other friends and family members to help prevent them from becoming a victim of crime too.”