The leader of Test Valley Borough Council, Cllr Phil North, has appointed the council’s first “Member Champions” which includes a representative for the Armed Forces.
The new scheme allows the council to benefit from the experience, knowledge and interests of councillors who are experts in their particular field.
The appointments are:
- Armed Forces Champion – Councillor Ian Carr
- Community Resilience Champion – Councillor Phil Lashbrook
- Voluntary Sector Champion – Councillor Iris Andersen
- Community Safety Champion – Councillor Ian Richards
- Culture & Heritage Champion – Councillor Dorothy Baverstock
As we go into the centenary year of the end of the Great War, former leader of the council and next year’s Mayor Cllr Ian Carr says, “The new scheme brings a formalisation of the various “unpaid and secondary” roles that councillors carry out as part of their role in the community.
“TVBC has always had a strong and fruitful working relationship with the Military, culminating with the signing of the Armed Forces Community Covenant on 25th June 2012.
“It was only natural that as an ex RAF Officer and Council Leader that I should then assume the role of Armed Forces Champion.”
The news comes the same day that Love Andover can announce it will be hosting next year’s Andover Armed Forces Day over the weekend of June 24th.
Councillor Phil North added, “The members I have appointed have a huge amount of experience in their respective fields and will be fantastic advocates for their areas. I am looking forward to working with them for the benefit of all our residents.”
The Member Champions will:
- Consider the impact of new proposals or proposed changes to Council policy or services that might have an on their specific area of responsibility.
- Research good practice in other councils and organisations
- Liaise with groups within the borough and other external bodies such as the Local Government Association (LGA) to identify relevant research and ideas that could help further the Council’s corporate aims.
Member Champions will be appointed by Cabinet on an annual basis at its June meeting.