Here’s How to Change Your Child’s Name in the UK

You might not like your child’s present name or think you have found a better name. Whatever your reason, the name change process in the UK can get to you if you don’t think straight.

For example, failure to submit all the documents at the right time will delay your application when changing your child’s surname. Or you might miss the deadline for submitting your application. Whatever the reason, it’s important to know how to change your child’s name correctly. This is why you must read this article till the end and thank us later.

Be Clear of the New Name

It starts with clarity. If you don’t know your kid’s new name, there’s no point in going through the name change process. Choose a name that you and your family like. Most parents don’t change their child’s first and middle name simultaneously.

Before you finalise a new name for your child, keep these tips in mind:

  • The name should be easy to spell: You don’t want to choose a difficult name for your child, such as Llywelyn.
  • The name should be gender-neutral: Avoid names typically associated with one gender, such as Ashley and Ryan.
  • The name should be unique yet easy to pronounce: You don’t want your child’s name to get mixed up with someone else’s.

Inform the Organisations

Once you’ve chosen a new name for your child, it’s time to notify the relevant authorities. You must do this before going ahead with the name change process.

The people or organisations you should inform about your decision are:

• Your doctor or midwife (if applicable)

• Childcare provider (if applicable)

• Your local council

• School/college where your child studies (if applicable).

After notifying these people, they will update the records accordingly. This is an important step that cannot be skipped and must be done to complete the name change process.

Get Consent from Everyone Involved

This is an important step in the name change process. You must get permission from everyone involved in your child’s life, including the other parent, grandparents and siblings. Depending on your situation, you may need to provide proof that all parties have agreed to the name change.

Apply for a Deed Poll

This is where everything comes together. You must apply for a deed poll document with UK Deed Poll Service or another deed poll provider. After filling out the application forms and submitting them along with the required documents, they will prepare the deed poll certificate and mail it to you.

This document proves that your child has legally changed their name and can be used as evidence when applying for a new passport, national insurance number and other official documents. However, applying for a deed poll doesn’t automatically update the records of all organisations. It would help if you informed them separately about your child’s name change.

Apply for a New Passport

Once you receive the deed poll certificate, the next step is to apply for a new passport with your child’s changed name (provided they are legally allowed to have a passport). 

You can do this through the HM Passport Office website or by post. In either case, send all the required documents, such as the deed poll certificate, old passport or birth certificate and two colour photographs of your child.

Final Word

Changing a name legally in the UK can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be difficult if you follow these tips carefully. Remember, getting in touch with experienced professionals is best if you need additional help with the name change process. This will ensure everything is done correctly, and your child can enjoy their new name in no time! Good luck!